What Is the National Housing Strategy?
The National Housing Strategy is the largest and most ambitious federal housing program in Canadian history. Over the next decade, it will invest $55+ billion to build stronger communities and help Canadians across the country access a safe, affordable home.
The federal government is re-engaging in affordable housing through the National Housing Strategy. It provides a platform for the public, private and non-profit sectors to come together. Their collaborative efforts will provide more Canadians with a place to call home.
The goal of this historic strategy is to make sure Canadians across the country can access housing that meets their needs and that they can afford. Over the next 10 years, the Strategy will:
- cut chronic homelessness in half
- remove 530,000 families from housing need
- invest in the construction of up to 125,000 new affordable homes
To achieve the goal, the strategy will first focus on the most vulnerable Canadians first.
The National Housing Strategy is committed to:
- creating livable communities where families thrive, children learn and grow, and their parents have the stability and opportunities they need to succeed
- taking steps towards advancing the right to housing, so that no one is ever refused a home because of their gender, religion or background
- setting out concrete targets and reporting on the results, to let Canadians know what the plan has achieved and where there’s still work to do
- spearheading innovative new housing research, data and demonstration projects to fill gaps in our knowledge, share the best ideas and shape the future of housing policy in Canada
- seeking out input from voices that haven’t always been heard and people who know first-hand what it’s like not to have a home
- adopting a “whole-of-government” approach that aligns housing with other important goals like creating jobs, increasing access to healthcare and education, and preventing violence against women
Together, these commitments will give more Canadians access to an affordable home. They will build vibrant and inclusive communities where people want to live, work and play. And they will help ensure all Canadians have a chance at a brighter future.